What's new

Tech Different brake caliper sizes?

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
So my new carbon wheelset arrived Tuesday evening from LightBicycle, yay! Looks awesome! But realized I didn't have a chain whip or other tools needed, so got those today. Just tried fitting the front wheel but the brake clearance is only 3 cm and that is how wide the rims are. Does anyone know if I can just change the calipers out to a bigger gap size? I usually research these things but wanted to ask here first this time.

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
Can you loosen the cable so the Caliper gets wider ?

Did that all the way, took the whole thing off, unsprung it, even without the cable attached at all to the caliper the wheel won't fit with the brake pads attached.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
To confirm, the exterior with of your rim is 30 mm and that's also how much space there is between the brake pads when you're not applying the brakes? What kind of tires are you running there and what model of caliper brake are you using?

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
You might be able to get a bit more clearance if there is a caliper arm adjustment screw to back out. Not sure if there will be enough or the brake pads can be adequately balanced to touch down same time.

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
Hi @leicaman , @joewein and @Cactaur . Leicaman was right, and so were all of you. The rims are these: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V...eels---30mm-wide-and-tubeless-compatible.html. As you can see they are 30mm wide. The tires are Conti GP5000. Caliper brake model is an old 105 which was part of the groupset when I inherited this bike.

After having a beer, and going back down into my "shop" (our spare bedroom), I took off the pads LightBicycle gave for the wheels and used my older, halfway worn down ones. It works! I feel dumb now for having taken everything apart twice, but a lot more confident when I go to do the rear wheel tomorrow.

Now, how much is it going to cost me in about a year when I try to get these rim brake hubs upgraded to disk brake? I wonder if LB will just do that for me if I handle shipping and the costs of switching.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Hi @leicaman , @joewein and @Cactaur . Leicaman was right, and so were all of you. The rims are these: https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V...eels---30mm-wide-and-tubeless-compatible.html. As you can see they are 30mm wide. The tires are Conti GP5000. Caliper brake model is an old 105 which was part of the groupset when I inherited this bike.

After having a beer, and going back down into my "shop" (our spare bedroom), I took off the pads LightBicycle gave for the wheels and used my older, halfway worn down ones. It works! I feel dumb now for having taken everything apart twice, but a lot more confident when I go to do the rear wheel tomorrow.

Now, how much is it going to cost me in about a year when I try to get these rim brake hubs upgraded to disk brake? I wonder if LB will just do that for me if I handle shipping and the costs of switching.
It would probably be cheaper just buying a pair of disc wheels to be honest. You’d need new hubs, probably new spokes and you might as well get disc specific rims that are lighter than rim brakes due to them not needing to handle the pressures of a brake pad pushing on them.

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
I assume your old pads are for carbon rims? Don't use standard pads for carbon rim brakes.

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
Definitely going to rep the old AL worn ones. Thanks guys. So much to learn...

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
It seems like newer rim brake calipers are designed to be compatible with wider rims. It might be best to try asking LB which calipers they know work with these wide rims then report that info back here.

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
If I were you I'd sacrifice the pads as the cheapest part, just to stay on the road while the solution proper materializes. Pile the new carbon specific ones down to where the caliper will take the wheel and you have a nice bodge until you find the right caliper etc

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
It seems like newer rim brake calipers are designed to be compatible with wider rims. It might be best to try asking LB which calipers they know work with these wide rims then report that info back here.

Here's what they said:

"There are some offerings from Shimano, SRAM, TRP and EEcycleworks according to the forums, but no specific model names. I've checked with TRP and EE but the majority of what they offer is only compatible with up to a 28mm rim.
I recommend sticking with Shimano just because the quality of their components is much higher than other's offerings."

My calipers are a much older 105 set, at least 6 years old, probably more.

The front of the new carbon pads LB sent are perfect, but when I put them in the brake pad socket/holder, the back doesn't go all in the socket. I did some filing with a razor. This will work for now.

Does anyone have experience with SwissStop brake carbon pads? It looks like they may actually be manufactured to be thinner for some of these reasons, and claim to offer better performance.

GrantT

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2012
To me, it would be bad practoce to sell you rims that are too wide to work within the design specification of recent Shimano brake calipers without mentioning it.

Can you ask which forums they read about these Shimano calipers on?

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
30mm external width does seem pretty damn wide. My Enve 2.2 are 27mm and my sram red callipers fit them just. Not sure if they would be able to handle 30mm

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
A bit of an extreme solution, and I'm not sure how safe it is, but I've seen people riding with their brake calipers open. The little lever that opens it when you're getting the wheel in and out etc. They just keep this open all the time...... Just throwing it in as a thought

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Caliper lever open is fine, Might be better to get a caliper that has more clearance. What bike is this for?

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Just looking at the LB website, it seems like they are marketing these as disc brake wheels with the ability to specific a rim brake track. Seems very odd to me as I don’t think most manufacturers make brake callipers that would clear a 30mm rim.

Top Bottom