What's new

Tech Mounting a phone

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
No, not "How to ...?", but "Which to buy?"

Following my learned friend @luka 's recommendation, I replaced my old, near-dead but compact phone with a Redmi something-something ("note 9s"?). The battery etc are as good as people say, but/therefore it's a big slab of electronics -- 168 × 79 × 10 mm -- and thus is too damn long for my Minoura mount.

As described by everyone's fave corporate taxpayer, this "Tiakia" thing can accommodate the length but perhaps not the aspect ratio (2.13:1). Also, I want to be able to have a sort of compact proto-mount (cf this for the Minoura mount) semi-permanently on the handlebar of any bike I might want to attach the phone to, and then attach the phone holder to any of these proto-mounts in mere seconds rather than having to choose between moving around a big cage in minutes or buying three of the things.

For this "Ichiha" mount, we don't get to see dimensions; but anyway the holder is secured to the proto-mount by a finger-tightened locknut -- I don't trust this at all.

I can't decide about this "VUP" number without trying it out (or hearing about it from one of youse). Might be decent; might be terrible. I can buy a separate proto-mount for my arm (!) but I think nowhere else.

Any recommendations, for or against?

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
I posted this some time ago. I like the Topeak system because it is easy to switch between bikes, it's secure, and it has a low profile.

MattRyuu

Maximum Pace
Apr 23, 2019
Love this one: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/ridecase. Battle tested a few times, but it also works great off the bike (also battle tested getting knocked out of my hand one night).

I had one with the straps like the Roam Universal one here: https://teamzwatt.com/inspiration/the-big-bike-phone-mount-test/ and that broke after about 4 months in two spots, one near one of the rubber straps and one crack near the clamp which was ultimately where it fell off.

Topeak is a trusted brand. Its been my recommendation to a few friends.

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
@Karl , @MattRyuu , thank you both. If I got a Topeak, it would have to be the "Omni Ride" (the stretchy one for a variety of phones). I'll have to think about this -- and the teamzwatt page gave me more food for thought.

Top Bottom