What's new

Tech Recommendations for commuter-friendly flat pedals

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
My old Crankbrothers pedals are quite worn, the bearings on one side is shot. And since I mostly use my mountain bike for commutes these days, I was thinking of getting flat pedals next. However, I would like flat pedals that don’t chew up the soles of my shoes. It’s been years since I had flat pedals, but the last ones had serrated metal edges that basically tore through sneaker-after-sneaker. Do you have any suggestions?

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
most flats now have pins that stick out a little so the serrated pedals are mostly a thing of the past unless you want the grip and shin shredding features.
MKS a good Japanese company. https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=ja/product/node/369

I'd look at something that you can use clipless as well. If you go touring or want to commute fast, being clipped in just saves a bit of energy.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
Thanks for the recommendation, they look pretty much what I am after. BTW, I used to have Shimano’s half-and-half pedals — they were great, indestructible like all Shimano pedals. However, I won’t need clipless pedal, if I am in the mood for some proper mountain biking, I can use my Eggbeaters that were on my road bike until recently.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I have a couple set of these. Amazon product

One set I am not using and would let go for 5000yen + shipping - if you are interested.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
In principle, I’d be interested. What color are they? And can I remove the pins?

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
In principle, I’d be interested. What color are they? And can I remove the pins?
I need to double check the color - either orange or red.
The pins are replaceable, so they should be removable.
Another thing you can do is find tiny washers and alter the pin height. A little bit of pin will prevent your shoe from slipping.

OreoCookie

Maximum Pace
Dec 2, 2017
As long as they aren’t chewing through my shoes, I’m fine with that. Red or orange would be perfect, my favorite colors amongst yellow.

PS I am glad I still have kept my SPD cleats as spares. :)

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
I use flat pedals (DMR Vault) and like them. Race Face Chester pedals have a good rep but I've never used them.

The pins can be adjusted or removed so the amount of grip can be suited to your needs.

As for wear, I've got some Northwave and Giro MTB shoes that have a few thousand km on them and show minimal wear from the pins. Also have some trail running shoes I've used for hike-a-bike trips and they show no wear at all. I've read reviews for the Five Tens and seen complaints that some models wear quickly. So maybe it depends on the rubber used on the sole (or maybe how hard people ride).

Top Bottom