What's new

Tech Rohloff Speedhubs

microcord

Maximum Pace
Aug 28, 2012
They aren’t too expensive abroad. The one below is €3,000 and would make a decent commuter / travel bike:

My Miyata cost me about €300 and is an indecently fun commuter bike. True, I've spent an additional €200 or so on it since buying it. But I've kept the parts I took off it, and if I switched them back (tubulars, corncob) it would be pretty good for an "Eroica"-era criterium. (It would; I wouldn't.) As for travel, I'm sure that Maxx is good in its way, but somehow the sight of it fills me with gloom. Here's more prettily photographed Rohloff bikepr0n; I don't know how much these cost, but they'll be priced in incredibly shrinking quid.

Kangaeroo

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2018
Blue Lug Hatagaya in Tokyo supposedly built a Surly World Troller with a Rohloff hub on their online catalogue: https://bluelug.com/bike-catalog/30/ , maybe contact them and see if they have a bike with one in stock to try? Wouldn't get your hopes up though, they're pretty rare.

I went to Blue Lug and none of the staff had even heard of a Rohloff hub, nor did they recognize one when I showed them a photo of one!!! It was reassuring in a way because I could eliminate them from the process (but they have some wonderful bike toys!)
Many people seem to be fans of Surlys. Why is that?
My impression of them is that they're over-priced, but it's essentially a groundless decision because I have never ridden one and know nothing about the frames, but as usual just let my prejudices take charge...

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Many people seem to be fans of Surlys. Why is that?
Surly makes a wonderful no frills bike. That is the main reason.

Also - look at the US prices vs Japanese. They are relatively inexpensive in the US for a boutique bike.
But import taxes have the prices jacked up another 40% in Japan.
The Krampus (bike I own) - was the first "PLUS" bike to hit the production market.
They have "gnot" boost spacing on their steel frames relying of the flex of steel to allow for 142 or 148 hubs to fit in their 145 spaced rear triangles. Surly attempts stuff that bigger companies don't try and they are more of a "give the people what they want" vs "tell the people what they want" type company.

That said, the price in Japan of Surly is off putting to me when I have access to the American Prices.
However some like the idea of exclusivity since you don't see them everyday.

Kangaeroo

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2018
Surly makes a wonderful no frills bike. That is the main reason.

Also - look at the US prices vs Japanese. They are relatively inexpensive in the US for a boutique bike.
But import taxes have the prices jacked up another 40% in Japan.
The Krampus (bike I own) - was the first "PLUS" bike to hit the production market.
They have "gnot" boost spacing on their steel frames relying of the flex of steel to allow for 142 or 148 hubs to fit in their 145 spaced rear triangles. Surly attempts stuff that bigger companies don't try and they are more of a "give the people what they want" vs "tell the people what they want" type company.

That said, the price in Japan of Surly is off putting to me when I have access to the American Prices.
However some like the idea of exclusivity since you don't see them everyday.

I wouldn't have even considered them had you not recommended them so highly and so frequently. Another bloke who I also respect highly holds them in the highest regard, too. So the above is also really handy to know. Thanks again, @bloaker !

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
@Kangaeroo I really like my Surly Cross Check. I've owned it for 10-ish years. I think I ordered it from either Wiggle or CRC, frame only. It was very reasonably priced. I changed out the front fork to a carbon one, changed the triple to a 1x, and got the weight down to less than 10kg. It takes wide tires, so have 43mm Gravel Kings on it. With my low gearing, it is really nice for riding the rindos, but rolls well on the road and is comfortable. I use it for commuting, or when the roads and trails are sloppy. (Steel is real.) Has braze-ons for all the racks you want to attach (except front rack...last I looked). I finally got my new road/enduro bike up and running, so with these two bikes, I figure I have the type of riding I do pretty well covered, although that doesn't stop me from looking/lusting after other bikes.

FWIW, Above Bike Shop has lots of Surlys. If you haven't been to that shop, it is worth a visit as well. Cool shop whether you are interested in Surlys or not.

Kangaeroo

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2018
Thanks, @Karl
This is also awesome information.
Everyone I know that rides a Surly swears by them, so I am glad to have my eyes opened. I think ultimately the type of riding I'd like to be using the bike for is the type of riding that you're doing, @Karl

Top Bottom