What's new

Tech Tubeless set up

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
For sealant, Imezi have been kind enough to provide me with lots of their sealant. It is really good. It has longevity in the tyre as it doesn't harden and has microfibers to help seal bigger holes.

If you want to try it, I can send you a bottle via chakubarai.

For valves I've never had an issue with the few brands I've used.

For tyres, IRC are really good. The X guard is great but only goes up to 33mm. The Boken comes in 40mm but isn't as tough.

For fat and tough tyres, I recommend Continental Terra Speed or Trail.

If you are doing really rocky stuff, a tyre insert is also a good investment. I'm happy with the 'tyre invader' brand in my tyres. No pinch flats and it doesn't interact with the Imezi sealant.

A compressor is probably necessary to set the tyres first time. A CO2 cartridge has the power to do it but it's a waste of cartridges if you don't set the tyre first time.

Good luck!

Andy

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
Dustin Klein used the Topeak Tubibooster in one of his videos. He seemed to think it worked well. At about $70 it looks like it might be a good way to get the initial setup done vs. air compressor. I have no idea if it would be worth it since I'm still not Tubeless in Tokyo.

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
Again - I run wider tires tubeless, so I can't speak specifically to road setups...
If the tires I have done - I have had about 5 that required an air compressor. The rest have gone on with a floor pump. I have even reset one trail side with a mini pump. I do believe is has a lot to do with your rim/tire combo as to how hard/easy it is.

There are Pump/Tank combos you can also get. Not cheap, but easy.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
The pump/tank setup is really good. I bought one a while back and never had a problem seating a tyre with it. Before that it was very hit and miss for my tyre/rim combinations.

Here is the 3M tape on my rim btw. Happened to stumble upon this photo in my camera roll yesterday.

FA147C20-93B4-4A0C-885A-2A41405B218D.jpeg

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
good pic, but needs a shallower depth of field. I'm curious about the white cat with black head asleep in front of the step, or is it a Jack Russell recharging it's batteries? . :)

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
good pic, but needs a shallower depth of field. I'm curious about the white cat with black head asleep in front of the step, or is it a Jack Russell recharging it's batteries? . :)
Wash your mouth out boy 😤. She is the most beautiful English Pointer this world has ever seen 😤
😜

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I just set a tubeless tyre this afternoon.

received_293325675176530.jpeg

I uploaded some pictures and explained the procedure here:

Cheers, Andy

Last edited:

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
After setting up the new tyre yesterday, I ripped a hole in it today.

Ride report here which may give you a few ideas on how to deal with tyre problems on the go.

Cheers, Andy

Winston Leg-Thigh

Maximum Pace
Mar 31, 2015
For sealant, Imezi have been kind enough to provide me with lots of their sealant. It is really good. It has longevity in the tyre as it doesn't harden and has microfibers to help seal bigger holes.

If you want to try it, I can send you a bottle via chakubarai.

For valves I've never had an issue with the few brands I've used.

For tyres, IRC are really good. The X guard is great but only goes up to 33mm. The Boken comes in 40mm but isn't as tough.

For fat and tough tyres, I recommend Continental Terra Speed or Trail.

If you are doing really rocky stuff, a tyre insert is also a good investment. I'm happy with the 'tyre invader' brand in my tyres. No pinch flats and it doesn't interact with the Imezi sealant.

A compressor is probably necessary to set the tyres first time. A CO2 cartridge has the power to do it but it's a waste of cartridges if you don't set the tyre first time.

Good luck!

Andy
Thanks for the offer - I'd already ordered some of the Stan's sealant but if I can't get it to work I wouldn't mind giving the Imezi sealant a go if you've still got some left.

Re the tyres - I'm really impressed with the IRC Marbella I'm running so I might give the 33mm ones a go when I next have to buy tyres. I'll see how these G-ones compare to the x-ones I've got on. The X-one has been a great tyre so far though.

Karl

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
After setting up the new tyre yesterday, I ripped a hole in it today.

Looks like some people carry a spare tube as a backup option for getting home, vs. repairing the tire on the go.

So, stupid question: I was wondering, with all that sealant, if you use a tube as a get-me-home device, does the tube get all gummed up?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Looks like some people carry a spare tube as a backup option for getting home, vs. repairing the tire on the go.

So, stupid question: I was wondering, with all that sealant, if you use a tube as a get-me-home device, does the tube get all gummed up?

I carry a tube too. If you put a tube in, just empty the sealant out. Give the tyre a proper clean at home as some sealants will indeed dry up and give you problems.

Which reminds me I have a sword and half a valve floating around my tyre...

Andy

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for the offer - I'd already ordered some of the Stan's sealant but if I can't get it to work I wouldn't mind giving the Imezi sealant a go if you've still got some left.

Re the tyres - I'm really impressed with the IRC Marbella I'm running so I might give the 33mm ones a go when I next have to buy tyres. I'll see how these G-ones compare to the x-ones I've got on. The X-one has been a great tyre so far though.

Yes, I'm thinking of trying IRC BOKENs next.

Andy

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008

Content has changed a little. Risking it with one tube. Now two cartridges and a mini pump. Also want to add some mini scissors or nippers. A piece of cardboad keeps the tube separated from the tools.

Andy

「what's in your bag?」

off road riding is great fun
オフロードは楽しい!

but you have to be prepared for mechanical problems
でもメカトラブルが多い!

right now I have:
今の持っているのは:

・tube x 2
・CO2 cartridge x 3
・tyre lever x 2
・multi tool
・spare valve
・bacon strip plugs
・digital gauge
・zip tie x 3
・mini sealant

what's in your bag?
あなたのバッグに何がある?

please share!
教えてください!

#imezi #imezi167 #imezisealant #167GRV #プロジェクト167

#gravelproject2020
#alwaysbeprepared
#boysbeambitious

Cactaur

Maximum Pace
Feb 3, 2014
Yes if you don’t clean out the sealant properly you’ll find the tube will stick. Take out and clean as soon as you’re able.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
I've really only ever wondered about tubeless--but I have to say, this thread has been cautionary. (sorry)

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
I prefer the Stans Dart to Bacon Strips.

Tanki

Maximum Pace
Aug 7, 2014
I've really only ever wondered about tubeless--but I have to say, this thread has been cautionary. (sorry)
Me too. When I have time I will google all the new cockney rhyming slang.

Top Bottom